Saturday, May 12, 2007

Ian has had a busy time at work this week so ethan and i have been keeping ourselves amused with day trips and playgroups. These photos are of Washington Irving's house at Sunnyside, Irvington. It was pretty with lovely views over the river. I have found that the sort of places that pass as tourist attractions here probably wouldn't make the cut in Britain or Ireland, but still, we had a nice picnic.

Ethan is getting very fast and managed to take me unawares in this photo!


Drums again! favourite bath time entertainment. We have introduced him to Sesame Street to get some respite from the Wiggles! He has been enjoying the silly sing along DVD especially the one with the drums.
I have been reflecting a bit on life here compared with New Zealand. I have realised that i really appreciate the thrifty attitude to life in new Zealand - waste nothing, save everything. There isn't the throw away culture that can exist here because everything is so cheap. I enjoy the fact that in New Zealand it is more cost effective to cook/bake something to take to a friend's for coffee than buy somthing in the supermarket. When we had some food with friends the other night one young woman was very excited about her contribution of a strawberry cake. She was very proud as she had "homemade it". It turned out that that meant she had added water and stirred. Even the posh baking shops are full of ready mix ingredients.
The countryside is looking much prettier and more cheerful now that the leaves are back on the trees. I am sure that the lack of deciduous trees in New Zealand must be one reason why I didn't feel as though we had a winter last year. we are due back at the beginning of July, just in time for winter proper.
i am very excited because we will be hosting our first visitor next week. Martin is coming to spend some time with us and the folk from NYC Vineyard. Can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, your notes and piccys are making us very excited about our trip to see you. Love the bath drums !!
God bless you all
Mum & Eddiexxx