Tuesday, July 12, 2005

God's mercy

The absence of spiritual musings on my blog recently is chiefly due to the fact that I have been feeling a bit spiritually dry recently - since New York really, a feeling I think many of the guys who went on the trip share.

Anyway, we looked at God's mercy in Church the other week and I am preparing some stuff for house group to follow up on that. I am looking at the story of Rahab the prostitute and the spies from the book of Joshua. God showed mercy to her when she sought it by sparing her and all her family when Jericho fell. Contrast that with the story of Achan a few chapters later. He and his whole family were stoned because he disobeyed a direct order from God not to take the riches of the city for himself. There was no mercy that I can see in God's response to that flagrant disobedience. Strange that we tend to find it easier to make excuses in the area of money and possessions rather than morality. Food for thought.

No comments: