The theme was basically about the fact that as God's children we are daughters of the King (hence princesses!) and also warriors in his army (just call me Xena) - the Psalm 45 imagery. We heard lots about Proverbs 31: the woman who works to provide for her family and those around her, who "girds herself with strength", extends both hands to the poor, "strength and honour are her clothing".
There was some fantastic teaching from Bobbie Houston of Hillsong Australia, Christine Caine and Chanelle from the US whose surname I missed. The message was that we are called to live extraordinary lives that will change the world through serving in our local church and fulfilling God's call on our life fully (not just til it gets too hard) and generally to get off our "cute little buts" and get out there. None of this not til i get married, not til i have kids, not til the kids group up sort of excuses. The other message that i have taken away is no more easy life - I will not avoid the difficult conversations, the hard decisions and the hard graft necessary to pursue the Christian life in God's grace through my obedience to him. It wasn't particularly gender specific teaching.
I have had some words of encouragement recently about the fact that God is telling me that i am on the right path and that I should just keep going. I keep asking God to show me where the path is going. I know He will in his timing. One thing I was able to take away from this weekend the encouragement that the calling for all of us is to serve where we are until God plucks us out of that situation. It isn't biding time but the essence of what we should be about. We should be building the resources that we will need later when we may not have such blessings all around us and when we will perhaps have to step outside our comfort zone further and more often.
Chanelle, one of the speakers, works for UNICEF in Copenhagen and has global responsibility for child immunisation. She spent 10 years serving in her local church in Seattle working in the kids' ministry colouring in and separating the red playdoh from the blue playdoh before she saw her calling take shape. The first year of her move was really hard in every move by the way - but she is loving it now.
Oh, the other intially cheesey but ultimately nice bit was being served by 300 male volunteers (who had apparently all been told to imagine we were their mothers!). They opened doors for us, gave us chocolates, gifts and a rose. I certainly came away feeling loved and appreciated and perhaps had a bit of a glimpse of the depth of God's love for me. He's not disappointed that I wasn't a boy (nor am I by the way).
Closing thought:
Proverbs 31:30
Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
But a woman who fears the LORD,
she shall be praised.
No comments:
Post a Comment