I went to Lincoln yesterday, which is a very long way from Bristol. Ostensibly it was for court - to attend a 30 minute directions hearing in a civil case. Pretty dull and definitely not worth the long drive. However, I then spent the rest of the day wondering round the city. A few trips to the shops and the last of the sales. I even popped in to the Ann Summers sale. Did you know that it is apparently National Orgasm Week? Very timely given the recent series on Song of Songs we have been doing at Vineyard. (by the way I didn't buy anything).
More importantly I did visit Lincoln Cathedral. It is absolutely stunning and sits on top of a hill overlooking the city. It's opposite the Castle which has both medieval and Roman bits to it. I find Cathedrals can be a bit of a wierd mix sometimes between a place of worship and a tourist attraction. It was fairly busy but I was able to relax and pray for a bit and praise God for the beauty of that place. I am always amazed by the skill of the craftsmen that built it and places like it. I imagine that the devout among them would have considered their work a real and tangible act of worship. It can be a bit harder to transfer that thought to our work and daily grind, yet if we do "live and move and have our being" in God, then it surely should be? I would like to get to the point in my daily walk where I can say that Everything I do, I do for you(cue Bryan Adams), sorry , do it for God. Even if it is a poxy 30 minute directions hearing in a far flung English city.
No comments:
Post a Comment