Sunday, October 05, 2008

Considering injustice

As Ian and I ponder and pray about what may be next for us now that he no longer works for IBM, we have been coming into contact with some really interesting people. One of them put us onto the International Justice Mission. They do amazing work which includes rescuing child prostitutes and tackling human trafficking on the frontline. I am reading a book called "Good News About Injustice" by Gary Haugen, the President of IJM. One of his former roles included being seconded to the UN to direct their investigation into the genocide in Rwanda. In considering my prayer life I was particularly struck by the following passage:

" In Rwanda, where I had to bear the burden of digging through the twisted, reeking remains of mass graves, I tried to imagine for just a minute, what it must have been life for God to be present at each of the massacre sites oas thousands of Tutsi women and children were murdered. Frankly, the idea was impossible to bear. But the thought led me to imagine what it must belike for God to be present, this year at the rape of all the world's child prostitutes, at the beatings of all the world's prisoners of conscience, at the moment the last breath of hope expires from the breast of each of the millions of small children in bonded servitude. As I would approach my God in prayer, I could hear his gentle voice saying to me 'Son, have you any idea where you Father has been lately?' ".

I don't fully understand how God can allow such suffering or why he relies on the intervention of his people to combat evil and injustice instead of intervening supernaturally. However by believing in his unfailing goodness, and wrath in the face of evil, I find hope instead of despair. But in terms of how this colours my prayers, it does make me all the more determined to pray that God will bring along a new opportunity for us that won't necessarily involve another first world salary with first world perks to support our two mortgages.

1 comment:

Gourmet Cooking On A Dime said...

It is the moving of God that inspires us to seek out the will He has for each of us to be used for His Glory. He must have really sore eyes form all the weeping He does.
I know you guys will continue to pray and fast and He will show you the next season.
We love you guys
xx